[Bf-committers] NAN Makefiles...

Michel Selten bf-committers@blender.org
20 Apr 2003 15:57:10 +0200

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 05:09, Beau Hargis wrote:
> Are the NaN makefiles going to be ripped out entirely?

In the future that is likely. But not before the auto* build is working
properly.

> It is not so much
> that I care, but that they clash with the files generated from configure
> and as far as CVS is concerned, they changed because they got overwritten.
> If I want the original Makefiles back I have to check them out of CVS
> again.  Trying to shake out the build system, I changed every 'Makefile'
> to 'Makefile.NAN' and can build blender with:
>
> > MAKE="make -f Makefile.NAN" make -f Makefile.NAN
>
> No files get overwritten and it everything still works. The other option
> is to have configure spit out 'GNUmakefile', but I have not modified the
> .in and .ac files appropriately to see how that works.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

You should do the following:
- Check out a clean copy of the blender source tree
- do a ./bootstrap in the top of the blender sources
- do a 'mkdir build' or - preferably - a 'mkdir ../build'
- cd to the build dir
- do a '../configure' or a '../blender/configure' - depending on what
  build dir you chose.
- do a make

This keeps the original NaN build environment working. The only files
generated in the source tree are Makefile.in's so that the source tree
is kept as clean as possible.

Michel