[Bf-committers] to make or not to make

Kent Mein bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:11:23 -0500

So I'm not just lurking (even though I only joined a short while ago)
I think The goals are great.  I also think though that no matter
what you do the developer is going to have to know a little bit
about the system they are using.  Now the biggest priority as I see it
is getting a simple to compile out of the box system for everyone.
Maybe its a little hard for people to add totally new dirs at this point.

Ok how do we do this?  Use the tried and true method other cross-platform
apps use.  I'm just naming these off my head as a windows/unix user:
Netscape, SDL, tcl/tk, gimp, gtk
The majority seem to be using autoconfig and something else for the
windows site.

My recommendation is try to merge whats been done on the autoconfig and
project files front.  Get that nice and pretty.
Then we can spend some time evaluating various automatic build of project
files, and or other apps.

Kent Mein

P.S. If "we're" still looking for a "Solaris Guru" I have access to
the following platforms and am willing to do Solaris stuff;
Various Linux platforms, Windows 2000, SunOS5.8, IRIX6.5