[Bf-committers] Mac OS X status

Maarten Gribnau bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:29:04 +0100

Hi LarstiQ,

Now that I have messed with it for a few hours I understand the idea.
On osx, I have created a work-around that overrides the NAN_PYTHON
setting to point to the python that comes with osx. I did this two
hours ago, talk about timing...

The NAN_MXTEXTTOOLS works fine once NAN_PYTHON is set but I do not
really like to override the default. However, I don't think the current
solution is a major problem (apart from being a bit messy). The bigger
problem is that I get a link error when I try to link the
mxTextTools.so. The file is found but can not be linked. Here is the
message:
"ld:
/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mx/TextTools/mxTextTools/
mxTextTools.so is input for the dynamic link editor, is not relocatable
by the static link editor again"

My knowledge of static versus dynamic linking in combination with GCC
is not so good. Do you have a clue?

Maarten
PS1 About the reason people report problems: I don't think many people
try the VRML2 import and you don't have a problem if you don't try.
PS2 In the long run it would be better to replace the python importer
with a C/C++ version that can be linked to Blender (as was planned
before NaN went down). I think the current design is far too complex.