[Bf-committers] Mac OS X status

LarstiQ bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:40:41 +0100

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 04:06:38PM -0600, Kent Mein wrote:

> > Maarten Gribnau wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Stefan,
> > > In the repository it is uncommented. According to CVS it was entered by
> > > Kent "Committing LarstiQ's patch for NAN_PYTHON_BINARY and
> > > NAN_MXTEXTTOOLS". I don't know what it is for either.
> >
> > This does not work on FreeBSD either. I don't see why it would be
> > needed. Kent: can you explain ?
>
> Sure,
> For everyone else on the list were talking about these two lines:
>     export NAN_PYTHON_BINARY ?= $(NAN_PYTHON)/bin/python$(NAN_PYTHON_VERSION)
>     export NAN_MXTEXTTOOLS ?= $(shell $(NAN_PYTHON_BINARY) -c 'import mx; print mx.__path__[0]')/TextTools/mxTextTools/mxTextTools.so

Sorry for the delay in responding, mail-backlog.

I held a rather long rant on the issue, no one replied to that, and Kent
committed a while later as it did the job on our systems. I did state the
solution wasn't optimal at the time, and it still isn't (importing it from
within python or some such is still the way imho, but please read my
original post).

Having said that, I do see a problem with the current NAN_PYTHON_BINARY,
it depends on the fact that NAN_PYTHON contains a working python binary,
which it does if you set it to /usr, which quite some people did/do because
they want to reuse existing headers and libraries, not copy everything
to the build tree again. Of course, this doesn't work if you don't do
that and keep the default of $LCGDIR/python and don't have a real python
installation there. Stupid, stupid, in my tests I kept setting
NAN_PYTHON so that didn't show up :(

Anyway, a quick workaround is to just set NAN_MXTEXTTOOLS
yourself, but it seems people don't run into mxTextTools problems
anymore ? Wonder how they do vrml imports :)

<snip>

LarstiQ