[Bf-codereview] Convex hull bmesh operator (issue 6114060)

ideasman42 at gmail.com ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 08:13:32 CEST 2012

On 2012/04/28 21:18:42, nicholasbishop wrote:
> On 2012/04/28 20:36:46, ideasman42 wrote:
> > LGTM,
> >
> > one more general comment is that I think having the operator delete
the holes
> > its self might not be so good.
> >
> > Instead the blender operator could do this on faces tagged as
original. - This
> > isnt really bad, just think it can get a bit messy if a lot of
operators call
> > eachother because of functionality users might want. rather have
them low
> level
> > and the callers can mix together the operators that make sense in
some
> context.
> > In this case the caller is the wmOperator

> Before, I was doing deletion in the wmOperator, but the code got a bit
more
> complex than just deleting original faces -- all the code in
> hull_delete_unused() and hull_make_holes(). Agree it gets trickier to
combine
> operators now, but on the other hand  the hull operator has flags to
disable
> these operations too.

> So, not sure which option is best:
> a) In the hull bmop, find elements to be deleted and tag them in an
output slot,
> then actually delete in the wm op
> b) Move both the find-deleteable-elements and deletion to the wm op
> c) Leave both in the bmop and let other operators disable with slot
booleans

Leave this up to you, but some things to consider.

I Don't think the way its doing it now is horrible, off hand (a) looks
most in keeping with bmop design, but if for some reasons there are
complications then suggest stick with what you have (c).

b) may be more trouble then its worth, but if it could be done cleanly
then I'd consider it - rip tool does this for eg.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6114060/