[Bf-blender-npr] BF Development Fund project on Freestyle and NPR

Tamito KAJIYAMA rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Apr 7 04:11:27 CEST 2014

Hi Vicente,

The reuse of computed view maps you described is exactly what I have in
mind. I believe there will be 2 phases in the development of view map
caching.

1. Implement the core of view map caching. Computed view maps will be
kept for later use.
2. Integrate the view map caching in the compositor.

In the 2nd phase, I believe the re-rendering of Freestyle line
components could be pretty dynamic. In terms of time requirements,
stroke rendering after view map calculation tends to be quite fast.
So just like other compositor nodes, any change in line style parameters
can be immediately applied to the final compositor output.

In the 1st phase, I guess we need to re-render everything, because a
question here is how to trigger the re-rendering of Freestyle lines
alone. Users may turn off the compositor, so I don't see much chance to
immediately apply parameter changes to the final output.

More careful design thoughts are due still. Comments and suggestions on
this feature are very welcome.

A vectorial pass sounds a nice idea. I would say that is a quite
feasible feature, because we already have vectorial exporters (e.g., SVG
and DXF) implemented on top of Freestyle. I am not fully sure if this
should be a pass, though. All other passes are raster images.
The question is how we integrate a vectorial pass into the pixel-based
compositor framework.

Face intersection detection is foreseen as part of future work (as
indicated in the Appendix of the project proposal). Depending on time
and funding availability, that feature could definitely be a project goal.

The source code from my Development Fund project will be available
through the Blender Git repository. See the following how-to document to
retrieve latest code updates:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Tools/Git

I would very appreciate it if builders are interested in keeping their
binaries in sync with the forthcoming Freestyle and NPR development.

Regards,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp>