[Bf-animsys] 2.5 animsys overview + NLA "Bag" proposal

malefico malefico at malefico3d.org
Thu May 7 14:06:30 CEST 2009

Hi,

After reading, I understand that the only practical reason for an
animator to have a NLA metastrip (or NLA bag) would be to import a
complex sequence of actions into a character/object. Is that right ?

On a slightly off-topic discussion I would like to express a wish here,
not exactly a feature request since I don't have the technical
background as to foresee the feasibility of this idea. So far shapekeys
and drivers are a property of meshes. This has proved to have serious
limitations, mainly great difficulty to transfer shapekeys among similar
(topologically speaking) meshes, which usually means rebuilding
shapekeys everytime a character changes/is created.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a sort of shapekey
defined in a topological way, and that be a property of objects instead
of meshes, so ideally, if the mesh changes, then all "object shapekeys"
could be transparently applied/trasferred to the linked mesh.

The above paragraph mind sound like nonsense now that I read it again,
but I don't want to enter here in feature-based proposals but just to
bring up the problem of current system and maybe inspire an original
solution from the creative minds here.

Best regards

malefico.