[Verse-dev] Back from GDC

eskil at obsession.se eskil at obsession.se
Mon Mar 26 08:45:15 CEST 2007

Hi!

I'm back in Sweden now after three weeks of traveling in the US and
Canada. As you all know I was at Game Developers Conference, and
people there really liked it. Both  Khronos and Web3D are interested
in using verse. I have got a host of new contacts and I'm now working
to go threw them all. I also visited a number of companies and talked
about verse.

There is a lot of things going on right now, and I'm trying to keep
track of them all. Now that Emil is no longer working full time on
verse, we need a new web master for verse.org, I am a very bad web
master so If any one would like to help send me a mail. One of the
things i would like to add is a list of all the projects going on and
their status and contact. Even projects that arent yet ready are
interesting, because the people can join in and help. A web board
would be nice too.

So lately I have been thinking about what projects i should be working
on and I have two ideas for things i would like to do. First is a
verse export toolkit. Lots of people(like me) want to use verse for
game development and things like that, and they need help processing
verse data for various platforms. As I'm sure you know i wrote a
Collada exporter not too long ago, and i came to the conclusion that
it would be better to build a tool kit for export that would be an API
that would make it easy to make exporters for any format. The idea
would be to have built in shader and LOD generating and things like
that. So my question is: does any one have any ideas for what they
would like such a tool kit to do?

Second, We all want verse support in all applications known to man, so
to help that happen it might be a good idea to write a "verse
integration toolkit" that would help people do that. It could do
things like keeping track of changes, and material conversion. But
there are many people out there writing plugins/integratios that know
far better then me what is needed, so if this is something you think
would help, tell me what you need, tell me what is annoying about
using verse as is and ill get started.

Cheers, and happy coding!