[Verse-dev] Connection phase in the spec

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at epfl.ch
Mon Feb 5 22:52:22 CET 2007

Le 5 févr. 07 à 21:51, eskil at obsession.se a écrit :

> RSA is a fairly well known encryption, so if it should be a part of
> the spec is some what debatable. (I'm not totally against it though)

My point was not to put RSA in the document -- though a reference
should be given. My point is that given the current spec the protocol
cannot be implemented because details are missing and not up to date.
Apparently there is a stage field which is not described in the
parameter format of the connect command and there is a "hidden"
exchange of connect commands before the server sends a connect_accept
which is not described in the spec (see the functions v_send_hidden_*
in v_connect.c).

> If you are trying to make your own implementation (are you?) that
> this would be more critical.

I may try sometime in the future (more likely in a year unless I find
some time before), so it is not urgent. It would be an implementation
in a higher-level language. The protocol seems simple enough --- a
blessing --- to avoid going through bindings.

> Perhaps there is a silent mob out there who desperately need the
> spec to be updated, if so, tell me and I will move it up my
> priority list.

For now, I don't urgently need it since I don't time have for that,
I'm more looking at what verse may offer.

Once in the next weeks I'm going to read the whole specification and
post comments and questions on some things that seem unclear to me,
this may help to update the spec.

Best,

Daniel