[Verse-dev] creating layers, links, fragments, which id to use

Thorsten Jordan Thorsten_Jordan at gmx.de
Fri Oct 15 21:35:44 CEST 2004

Hi,

i'm currently porting my applications to verse-r4p0 (pre7).
the pusher is mostly done.
I happily noticed that creating nodes with 0xffffffff always works now.
It's a simple and easy solution and should have been realized earlier ;-)
however what is for links,layers or fragments, also use 0xffff as id to
create them always? my old pusher used 0xffff counting down...

Another suggestion: maybe pointers should be encapsulated by structs
when they're return values. e.g. the host_id or the vsession is a
pointer. Handling pointers is dangerous and you don't have the size
information with them. so create a struct host_id { uint* value;
unsigned size; } or the like for it... just a thought from a C++-view.

--
Greetings, Thorsten