[Uni-verse] Press release

Tapio Lokki ktlokki at tml.hut.fi
Thu Nov 16 09:51:04 CET 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Gert Svensson wrote:

>> 1. I'd like to change the title so that it does not contain word
>> "breakthrough", since with my academic glasses I see it too strong. How
>> about "Novel distributed acoustic simulation tools for architecture and
>> games".
> I can understand your concern but in press releases it is "normal" to
> exaggerate. Has something similar been done before?

I don't want to be arrogant, but the acoustic simulation itself is really
an implementation of issues that have been published about 10 years ago.
In the DIVA demo (by us) in Siggraph'97 (Electronic Garden) we
demonstrated real-time acoustic simulation with interactive listener. The
novel things in UVAS and UVSRP are that materials and geometry could be
changed interactively and sound sources can move in real time. However, we
already implemented (and published) these issues in 1998, but at that time
they didn't work in real time. The only really new thing academically in
the Universe Audio part is the geometry reduction.

>> 2. When audio waves bend around obstacles the phenomenon is called
>> diffraction, not refraction (as now in the end of 3. paragraph).
> Sorry, my fault  So the statement will be correct if I change refraction to
> diffraction?

Yes. Light refracts and sound diffracts.

Tapio

--
Tapio Lokki <Tapio.Lokki at tkk.fi>, http://www.tml.hut.fi/~ktlokki/
Helsinki University of Technology