[Uni-verse] Audio demo situation?

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Tue Nov 14 10:05:43 CET 2006

[...]
> 5) Rendering Have you tested the latest FHG renderer on the web site?
> Have you tested Quel Solaar on your HW?
>
> 6) Many different models exists. Quality of the model is unclear.
> Patching to be watertight may be a problem More complex and visually
> pleasing models would be needed.

I've done some testing with the first model from Slas' page, this one:
<http://www.pdc.kth.se/~slas/universe/models/model-snapshot-061108_0129_r1.vml>.

I've only run Connector, and so far, results are ... making me rather
nervous. :/ Performance is rather low, and I don't know what can be done
to improve it.

Some concrete issues:

1) I noticed there is a lot of material in the scene (949 nodes), perhaps
    some objects should be joined into larger meshes? I'm not sure (Eskil
    can correct me, here), but I think that is more efficient.
2) What about sharing geometry? Browsing the node list in Connector, I saw
    at least six identical-looking (to me) chairs. Are they distinct objects
    in Max too? I would hope they could be expressed by linking to a single
    chair geometry, from a number of object nodes. Any comment, Slas?
3) I never saw the interior of the room get rendered, in color. This screen-
    shot: <http://unwind.se/connector-ist-model.png> took many minutes of
    processing to generate, but it has blank walls. Is this expected?
4) Connector uses a lot of memory, at least in Linux I think it is still
    leaking. I can look for that, but not very efficiently. When I made the
    above screenshot, Connector was using over 1.2 GB of virtual memory ...

Any ideas on what we can do to improve the situation are welcome, of course.

Regards,

/Emil