[Uni-verse] Members to the advisory board

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Feb 6 12:49:25 CET 2005

Hi all,

In an online meeting with Gert I asked him to contact this list to
explain the Advisary Board idea further, and propose how to proceed
with the idea. The reactions from Torbjorn and Lauri until now really
worry me... we are going far beyond what is reasonable or manageable,
and shouldn't start something presumptious we cannot realize and in the
end will only lead to disappointment or to problems with the EU due to
delivery failures.

Here's the advisary board text as included in the original Universe doc;

---------------
A board of advisors will be created within the framework of the
project. The members will be representatives from companies especially
SMEs and from the open source community with experience from designing
products based on 3D graphics and games and communication services.
Many of them haven’t succeeded the way they hoped for. One of the major
reasons is that the platforms that are ready to use today do not offer
modular and scaleable functionality. The services and products have
limited functionality and the cost to ad functionality is immense. The
board will give the project most valuable end-user input and advice
about how Uni-Verse should work.
------------------

This text is very general, and doesn't imply to start up something
ambitious. It also can be exactly the 'Architecture Review Board' as
Eskil already mentioned in the first workshops.
Or, if this is something else, we have to clearly map out the
responsibilities of both boards.

I advise to stick to the KISS strategy here, and define the absolute
simplest most feasible concept for this board. For simplicity I also
think we can stick to a single board, targeted to provide feedback to
*Verse* as protocol (not uni-verse, that's us). The board also is part
of the future exploitation, and cannot be a dissemination target.
Actually, it's a result of succesful dissemination.

For the exploitation/dissemination plans we then only have to sort out:

- what exactly the role of the board will be
- that the first members of the boards are some of the uni-verse
partners
- that new members will be found and appointed, based on past Verse
experience and/or contributions to Verse.

The way how OpenGL or other Open Standard consortiums organize can be
used as an example here. We need to be ready for installing such
boards, but I don't like it as a means to advertise Verse and ask
famous people to join... if we want that as a dissemination force,
let's call it the "Endorsement Committee" or so.

I also like to see Eskil's input on this, since he has ideas on the
Architecture Board since the beginning.

-Ton-