[Uni-verse] High end engine

Martin Schlingmann uni-verse@blender.org
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:14:36 +0100 (CET)

Hi.
When thinking and modeling the parts and systems needed to conduct,
develop and integrate our genetic and evolving systems I came to the
conclusion that we also will be developing a rendering client (or rather
rewriting on since we have several newly written c++ opengl rendering/game
engine clients).

This is however the client in between the so called thin client and the
high-end client.
This is a client targeted normal high-end workstations, but also for
dynamic content in interactive real-time 3d worlds system.
The difference to a normal client is the absolute need for specific
multi-dimensional spatially divided content, using for example octrees.
And taking usage of displaylists, vertex arrays on several different
levels of LOD, support for simple LOD in both realtime and batch (MRM
etc). Culling on object and triangle level. Support for heighmaps.
So what I need is a rendering engine that supports dynamic content fully
but still can render with full speed.
Normally in game-engines one differes from static and dynamic content
(keeping the dynamic parts low), in our scenario everything is dynamic or
possibly dynamic.
I plan to rewrite and take parts of my earlier developed multiple scene
and Octree-based rendering client and make it, among other things, "loose"
+ dynamic (nodes can be divided and expanded and in different size in
realtime).

Since I have been away with our uni-institution on conference, and still
am, I have not seen Eskils latest additions to wp5. But I have understood
earlier that no one is planning to integrate/develop a game-engine style
renderer for verse, supporting multidimensional spat.div and handling all
data dynamic at the same time.
However I beleive everybody will contribute and be apart (input & output!)
of developing all rendering parts since we all need our specific systems
and also want to present rendering clients for many possibly scenarios.
As a mark I am talking about having scenes with 1-100+ miljon triangles
running at standard workstations in reasonable framrate, this is the
reason for the need of spatial division etc.
I think I personally will look a lot at what Fraunh. is doing with their
low-end clients etc.

I explain this further in our spec (wp 5, 5,4 specific) wich will be sent
tomorrow.

Cheers martin

Martin Schlingmann
Interactive Institute