[Uni-verse] Long post about everyting sound and more.

Eskil Steenberg uni-verse@blender.org
Wed, 07 Apr 2004 09:21:11 +0200

Hi

>1) I'm sorry to say, but still I don't know where to find the new API
>to comment this issue :-(.

#define VN_AUDIO_MAX_SAMPLE_SIZE_UNCOMPRESSED 1400
#define VN_AUDIO_MAX_SAMPLE_SIZE_COMPRESSED 5000

typedef enum {
    VN_A_LAYER_INTEGER8,
    VN_A_LAYER_INTEGER16,
    VN_A_LAYER_INTEGER24,
    VN_A_LAYER_INTEGER32,
    VN_A_LAYER_REAL32,
    VN_A_LAYER_REAL64,
} VNALayerType;

typedef enum {
    VN_A_UNCOMPRESSED_SUSTAINED,
    VN_A_COMPRESSED_SUSTAINED,
    VN_A_UNCOMPRESSED_UNSUSTAINED,
    VN_A_COMPRESSED_UNSUSTAINED
} VNATransferType;

extern void verse_send_a_layer_create(VNodeID node_id, VLayerID
curve_id, const char *name);
extern void verse_send_a_layer_destroy(VNodeID node_id, VLayerID curve_id);
extern void verse_send_a_layer_subscribe(VNodeID node_id, VLayerID
curve_id, VNATransferType transfer);
extern void verse_send_a_layer_unsubscribe(VNodeID node_id, VLayerID
curve_id);
extern void verse_send_a_audio(VNodeID node_id, VLayerID layer_id,
uint16 id, uint32 time, uint16 length, VNATransferType transfer,
VNALayerType type, void *data);

(This API excludes the new ideas of stored assets)

>2) Your idea of having storage for audio enabling "GIMP<->Blender"-
>styled interface for audio is a clever one!

Well, its what verse is about.

>3) For room acoustic modeling neither the audio streaming nor the
>audio server is essential. They could provide a nice add-on for
>concurrent distributed design, but basically we can manage with local
>audio files.

No not really, still you have to get your sounds threw the same API as
suggested before.

>4) From viewpoint of Verse both of your questions are important. In
>Uni-verse the game/digital media demonstrator should take benefit of
>this functionality. In WP2.2 the audio server can be specified in a
>general level, but the spec should be done in co-operation with the
>definition of the game demonstrator to ensure that all the required
>functionality of the demo is incorporated in the audio spec.

The verse spec, should not be written with any specific usage in mind.
Verse should remain application independent.

>5) Who is going to implement the audio server? Does it belong to WP6?
>My point is that, it is not part of WP7 :-).

There is no audio server, there is only the verse server, and as you can
see we are very close to have it  implemented.