[Soc-2018-dev] Weekly report #10 - Implementing a Hair Shader for Cycles

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:15:52 CEST 2018

Hi,

>    - The regression test suite has not been uploaded yet to SVN.

I've committed these as well now.

>    - It's been asked in the BA thread if I have extra objectives for the
>    shaders. Do you feel that more features/controls should be added?

More features could be good, but also part of the GSoC plan was to
investigate optimizations for the shader, since it still is relatively slow
/ noisy.

So I think you should at least profile the shader, and look into fireflies
to see where they come from and if they are expected or not. I don't know
if there is anything major to find, but it's worth investigating.

      - I came up with controls for each of the modes (R, TT, TRT, TRRT+).
>       - It's been also suggested to prune the UI into a "Basic" and
>       "Advanced" mode.

I'd be hesitant to add features to break physical correctness and energy
conservation so early, before people have really tested the shader. I
rather users test it and then give us feedback saying they can't achieve
this or that look, and then we see what the best solution is.

Maybe commit it to your branch and then we can always add it later if there
is a need for it.

> About the GSoC project deliverables:
>
>    - If I read the mail correctly, Google wants us students to summarize
>    and show off our work in a single place e.g. a blog post. How does
> Blender
>    handle this?
>       - My preference would be to add a page (similar to when one publishes
>       a paper) in amyspark.me explaining the work we did. We could embed
>       the resulting pictures, credits, etc. and the demonstration video
> from
>       Youtube.
>       - As for "Get the code", perhaps I could add links to the relevant
>       commits?

A webpage is fine, for the code you can link to the git branch.

Thanks,
Brecht.