[Soc-2018-dev] Weekly report #08 - Bevel Improvements

Rohan Rathi rohanrathi08 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:09:55 CEST 2018

Hi everyone, here is my report for this week.

What I did this week:

Started off by revising the prior functionality and made performance fixes
to fix_normal_shading continuity and fixed a persistent edge crease that
was present even due to variance in mesh topology
Did a minor cleanup of the codebase and refactored most of the normal
editing functionality in the modifier to a separate struct.
Fixed several merge conflicts with Blender2.8
Wrote some useless code for custom profile curve. Did profile editing by
hacking the code. I can add a hackish method of adding profiles and provide
limited functionality, but it would be at the cost of the current codebase,
I'm not particularly into disorienting the way bevel currently works.
Added functionality to have corner vertices of the face have the same
normal as the face normal by default.
Cleaned up rest of the code and built a windows to release to test the
current existing functionality.

The release can be found here:
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gsoc-2018-bevel-improvements/440/28

Would really appreciate some feedback on the current functionality.

What I plan on doing next week:

I've received feedback and will work to resolve those. There are bugs
present in bevel with 2.8 and my branch eg bevel with profile=1. I will
also try to add merge near vertex.

ᐧ