[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly report #9 Cycles nodes

Tycho Tatitscheff tatitscheff_tycho at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 21 15:08:41 CEST 2013

Hi,

i wonder if there is a way in your shader to draw the solar disk too.
If we could sync the solar disk with the main sun lamp (for instance using this http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/Sun_Position), it would be perfect.

I dont look your code in details but martinsh ubris glsl code draw the sollar disk http://pastebin.com/c5g7TuiC

Cheers
Tycho

________________________________
 De : Thomas Dinges <blender at dingto.org>
À : Blender GSoC 2013 <soc-2013-dev at blender.org>
Envoyé le : Samedi 17 août 2013 0h23
Objet : [Soc-2013-dev] Weekly report #9 Cycles nodes

Hi,
here my week 9 report:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2013/Weekly_Reports/Week9

Best to read it in the wiki, as there are lot of links.

= Week 9 =

== What I did this week ==
* I did some cleanup in the Cycles code this week in trunk. (Commit
59043, 59070, 59072...)

* Commited some motion blur code to my branch (r59183). We can now
enable/disable motion blur on a per object basis, inside the Properties
Editor. This commit also has some basic code for the motion multiplier,
but I still need to properly hook that up with the object transform
matrix and shutter time.

* I did some research on a new sky model this week. Cycles (as well as
Blender internal) use
[http://www.cs.utah.edu/~shirley/papers/sunsky/sunsky.pdf A Practical
Analytic Model for Daylight], but there is a better model available
since 2012. [http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/projects/SkylightModelling/ An
Analytic Model for Full Spectral Sky-Dome Radiance]. The current
Preetham model suffers from some problems especially for sunset and
sunrise, which is better in the Hosek/Wilkie model. So I did some
research here, to check if a inclusion would be feasible.

Questions and observations

The current model gets calculated within Cycles itself.

SVM: Pre-calculation in nodes.cpp, final evaluation in the SVM file.

OSL: Has everything in the .osl file, but as the sun_direction and
turbidity is constant, it can only calculate that once and optimize it
out then for the actual rendering. (OSL makes heavy use of constant
folding etc.)

The new model on the other hand comes with a 66kb large dataset with
values (ArHosekSkyModelData_RGB.h). (See
[http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/projects/SkylightModelling/HosekWilkie_SkylightModel_C_Source.1.4a.zip
Sample code archive].)
Other engines all use this data, so I guess we need it too. But I guess
we should use that to precalc the sky again, and not increase kernel
size. What confuses me is that "ArHosekSkyModelState" which we need to
initialize. (As we use RGB, we would start with
"arhosek_rgb_skymodelstate_alloc_init").

I checked on some implementations of the new model.
* [https://github.com/githole/Skydome/blob/master/skydome.c Simple
implementation] which calculates every pixel and outputs an image.
* Mitsuba renders the Sky to an HDR map internally and uses this.

So basically I would appreciate some starting points on how to approach
this. Use the model data? Separate code into precalc and svm evaluation
again?

== Next week ==
* Continue with the Sky feature. I would also like to spend some time
documenting some of Cycles code, which is not so trivial to understand
(at least for me). :)

== Questions ==
See above, regarding the new Sky model.

Best regards,