[Bf-python] Questions about new API and particles in 2.46

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Mar 7 00:10:12 CET 2008

Hi WHiTeRaBBiT,

On 07/03/2008, at 9:17 AM, whiterabbit at dreamscapearts.com wrote:
> I'm saying this
> to ask two questions:
>
> 1) Is it possible to port the particles over even if it just uses the
> existing effects API? If this doesn't
>    happen I will be forced to lock MOSAIC to Blender 2.45 or have no
> particles at all! I think most
>    users will not even consider MOSAIC if it will not work on the
> latest version of Blender because
>    of all the new features being added this year :(

Particles were recently discussed on this list.  If you have only just
joined, you may have missed it.  Here is the initial mail by LetterRip
just in case:
     http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-python/2008-February/005163.html

In summary, LetterRip and/or one other guy _may_ be working on a stop-
gap solution.  Campbell brought up the issue of the new API, mentioned
its differences on the C side, but didn't elaborate on what
differences will exist on the Python side.

> 2) When is the new API scheduled to be release and will it completely
> break compatibility with the
>    current API? I really don't look forward to completely recoding
> 6000
> lines of code all at once just
>    to get MOSAIC up and running again :( Is there somewhere I can go
> get more information on this?

IMHO, Mosaic is *the* best RenderMan exporter we've seen for Blender
so far, with the correct design goals and a good implementation.

I don't think you should lock Mosaic to 2.45, since it seems to be
standard for many (/most /all?) users to upgrade Blender ASAP to get
hold of all the juicy new features.  That alone may reduce your
potential user base dramatically versus the loss of particles.

Is this the Wiki page that talks about the new API?
     http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/BPythonAPI/bpy_api
If so, shouldn't someone link it here, if it's scheduled for 2.5?
     http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5
Or is there another newer new API that I don't know about yet? :-)

Jonathan Merritt.