[Bf-python] Questions about new API and particles in 2.46

whiterabbit at dreamscapearts.com whiterabbit at dreamscapearts.com
Thu Mar 6 23:17:03 CET 2008

Hey everybody,

I've just registered here so let me introduce myself, I'm Eric Back aka
 >WHiTeRaBBiT< the
developer for the RibMosaic RenderMan exporter. Heres some places to
learn more about me :)

My project site is here: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ribmosaic
You can see test renders here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dreamscapearts/MOSAICTestRenders
I'm also blogging for MOSAIC here:
http://www.blendertorenderman.blogspot.com

Up till learning about this mailing list I had no idea where to look to
find information about the
direction and progress of the Python API in Blender. After browsing
though this mailing list I'm
shocked to find out that the entire API is changing and that there seems
to be no interest in
porting the new particles system to Python! After a little over a year
of Very intense programming
MOSAIC is fully functional with over 6000 lines of code. I'm saying this
to ask two questions:

1) Is it possible to port the particles over even if it just uses the
existing effects API? If this doesn't
    happen I will be forced to lock MOSAIC to Blender 2.45 or have no
particles at all! I think most
    users will not even consider MOSAIC if it will not work on the
latest version of Blender because
    of all the new features being added this year :(

2) When is the new API scheduled to be release and will it completely
break compatibility with the
    current API? I really don't look forward to completely recoding 6000
lines of code all at once just
    to get MOSAIC up and running again :( Is there somewhere I can go to
get more information on this?

Hopefully I sound somewhat polite, but after alot of work in a project
(that matters to me at least) I'm
trying not to be VERY upset!

Cheers