[Bf-python] Python API patch for IPO texture channels

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Wed Mar 16 22:17:04 CET 2005

Johnny Matthews wrote:

> I think we may want to look at some analogs to the modeler so that
> python can act in a pseudo-macro sense.
> like this:
>
> for i in range(1,100):
>    obj.setLoc(x,y,z)          // Grab
>    obj.insertKey(Loc)       // Presses i key and chooses Loc
>    frame.advance()           // Right arrow key (this is just pseudocode)
>
> Then as a scripter, I can call a function in the API that is a
> function of the program.
>
> Personally I think some api functions that are "higher level" meaning
> that they can be done already with a lot
> more api code rather than a single call are a good thing IF those have
> meaning in the application itself. Like
> "insert Key" or "subdivide". Provides for easier automation certainly.
>
> Johnny

Sortof like how python bindings for HE mesh will most likely work:
there will be access to all the current tools, plus some more generic
Euler operations.  But there will be no direct access to the mesh,
beyond, say:
    DeleteFaceTool(4)
    face = AddFaceTool(1, 0, 2, 3)
    SelFaceTool(face)
    Subdivide()

And everything would work on top of an HE editmesh (or, in other words,
on top of the fully macro-compatible object, not the compressed mesh
used when not in editmode), unlike NMesh where everything works on top
of the Library Mesh.

I need to look at modo's and zbrush's scripting interfaces to figure it
all out.  Eventually.

joeedh