[Bf-python] Proposal to getSelected and getAcitve

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Fri Mar 4 18:04:46 CET 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 11:51:39AM -0500, Mark Potse wrote:

> It depends on the purpose of the script. I think it is intuitive and
> useful to act on the active object when doing something that would
> be done in edit mode when done manually. Modifying a mesh, for example.

You got into EditMode by selecting an object, yes?

>.... So this script is typically
> called while Blender is in edit mode. I noticed that sometimes the
> script didn't work, and it took a long time before I found out that
> there was no object selected, while there was still an object in
> edit mode. I expected my script to act on the thing that I saw.

This is that problem of one Space having ( or not having! ) access to
data in another space.  Plus the fact that new data, the edit mesh, is
created in EditMode.  Being able to run scripts directly out of the
3dwin is a solution for this.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net