[Bf-funboard] Loading Screen for Blender

Jason van Gumster fweeb at monsterjavaguns.com
Wed May 11 17:54:26 CEST 2016

Diego Gangl <dnicolas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Blender loads pretty fast for me on factory settings, but once you
> start piling addons it takes longer and longer. As addons become
> larger, startup (registration) times will increase too.
>
> I don't know if there's much Blender devs can do to improve this,
> since it's third party code.
>
> Maybe it would be useful to have a splash screen that only shows up
> after X seconds of loading. It could be just the Blender logo and a
> text like "Loading addons..." so the user gets a hint.
>
> Cheers!

The add-ons point is an important one to make. These launch-time benchmarks
really need to be done (or at least baselined) with Blender's "factory
defaults."

There was discussion a while back about lazy loading of add-ons, but it's a
non-trivial problem and I'm not sure anything of significance came of it.

All that said, the Blender development team would be far more likely to put
energy into shortening launch time than adding a loader pop-up of any sort.

  -Jason