[Bf-funboard] Default file changes?

Early Ehlinger earlye at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 04:57:55 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 3:45 PM, IL'dar AKHmetgaleev <akhilman at gmail.com>wrote:

> На Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:12:09 -0500
> "Early Ehlinger" <earlye at gmail.com> записано:
>
> > Making the "standard" UI more in line with the UI's of other
> > applications will not hurt existing users, and will definitely ease
> > the transition for new users.
>
> There is no any another 3d package with 3d cursor and gestures. So we
> should remove them to match other applications workflow?

I don't mean to imply making it identical to other apps - just "more in
line."  It's a balancing act - how much should you try to make Blender act
like a standard word processor?  Selecting with the left mouse button rather
than the right should IMHO be high on the list.  I.e., in areas where
functionality is common and expected by newbies, the UI for that
functionality should likewise be similar to existing applications.
Obviously we shouldn't throw away unique things like gestures, although it
may not be a bad idea to have them disabled by default - there have been
times when I've been showing somebody Blender and they've accidentally
gestured for scaling or rotation and been unpleasantly surprised.

I don't think a cursor is unexpected for non-3D users - they're very used to
seeing them for word processors, spreadsheets, etc.  But it's definitely
confusing to 3dsmax, LightWave, and Maya users.  That's a small thing
though, because it's additional, useful functionality, rather than the same
functionality with a different interface.

-- Early Ehlinger