[Bf-funboard] Re: Adding Objects (settings)

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Mar 30 04:17:57 CEST 2007

On 3/30/07, Bassam Kurdali <bkurdali at freefactory.org> wrote:
> I don't suppose it's possible to put stuff in the stack "under" the
> grid/plane etc? if not, I'd suggest it shouldn't be a modifier, just a
> procedural object that can take modifiers on top, and has resolution
> settings similar to lattice. shoehorning that into the modifier stack
> seems a bit funny.

Sure, like I said, it's a proof of concept that shows that the
modifier system could be a good way of implementing something like
that. In a real situation, you'd want to put in a bunch of other
changes to make it not like a regular modifier.

> oh, and I agree with you and others on the list: Isn't it possible that
> at least some of the buttons can do live updates in the 3d view? as a
> user pref, at least? or maybe like how the action editor/IPO editor have
> a button in the header to enable this.

As far as I know from my dabblings in that area of code, it's not a
conscious decision, but a technical limitation of Blender's GUI code.
It's one of Blender's worst UI problems IMO. Ideally, all buttons
should update interactively as you're dragging them, preferably with
some kind of FPS limiting so that you can still drag and tweak
smoothly, even if the rest of the display isn't keeping up.

Matt