[Bf-education] college level curriculum

Nicholas Jainschigg njainsch at risd.edu
Sat Sep 19 07:06:51 CEST 2009

Hi--
I'm teaching a class called 3D for Illustration at The Rhode Island School
of Design. I've been teaching the class for about eight years. I started
with Cinema 4D, but for the last three years, I've been using Blender and
ZBrush. I got tired of students asking me about cracked software, and I was
finding that I was using Blender more and more in my personal artistic
exploration and in some professional jobs. As far as I know, it was the
first class revolving around FOSS at RISD, although there are now classes
involving Processing, as well.

The class doesn't explicitly go into animation, though, just modeling,
texturing, and rendering. Special emphasis is placed on Blender as a
creative tool, rather than as a means to reproduce stuff that's already out
there, whether the real world or the latest high-rez game.

I'm happy to post the relatively rough course description I've written up
for my students--it's week-by-week for a twelve week semester, but it's
fairly bare-bones, and I constantly tweak stuff based on whether the
students are "getting it" or not, so it's really more of a road map than a
detailed travelogue.
If there's interest, should I just send it out as plaintext or post it as a
PDF?
Best,
Nick J.