[Bf-docboard] Overlooked in the documentation, as far as I can tell....

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 03:45:19 CET 2016

This guideline was added to avoid documenting arbitrary/unimportant
limits... since they aren't really helping users and often get
out-dated (whenever a new menu item or option is added) ~ in fact most
of them I found imported from the wiki were wrong.

However *some* limits could make sense to document...

- Maximum frame.
- Length of name inputs.
- Usable range for objects in the scene.

On the other hand you can figure this out fairly easily by just trying
to exceed them.
Also not sure where they fit in our docs... so don't have really
strong opinion here.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Aaron Carlisle <carlisle.b3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe this would fall under this category:
>
> Avoid including specific details such as:
>
> Blender has 23 different kinds of modifiers.
> Enabling previews adds 65536 bytes to the size of each Blend file (unless
> it’s compressed).
>
> These details aren’t useful for users to memorize and they become quickly
> outdated.
>
> Which can be found on the manual writing guidelines [1]
>

> 1. https://www.blender.org/manual/about/writing_style_guide.html
>

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 9:04 PM, <brasshat at core.com> wrote:
>>
>> Friends,
>>
>> While looking to answer a question on Blender Stack Exchange about the
>> allowable length of names for object, materials, &c., I first looked in the
>> documentation to try to find the answer, but did not. By direct
>> experimentation, I discovered that the maximum length of the name of an
>> object, material, or vertex group is 61 characters.
>>
>> On a related note, I wondered myself how many vertex group "slots" can be
>> assigned on a single object. The answer to that question, again determined
>> by direct experimentation is "at least 513".
>>
>> Noel Stoutenburg

- Campbell