[Bf-docboard] Original (higher quality) manual images available

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 06:32:13 CET 2016

Hi Tobias,
While this seems like a fun challenge, I'm quite skeptical that this
would be usable for us.

Currently document writers can take a screenshot and commit it, I can
only assume this would take some extra step when adding images.

On the other hand if this was made into a build-step, its going to
slow-down building documentation.

It also seems rather fragile - subtle differences in font kerning are
likely to make text display differently (where it may not fit).
And this would have to somehow support thumbnails too.

Solid colors already compress quite well with PNG, and shaded areas of
the screen will have to be images anyway (unless you incorporate WebGL
into this system).

The potential to have interactive parts of the image could be useful
in some cases,
however that can be done using images too.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 3:55 AM, Tobias Heinke
<heinke.tobias at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> On big image files - huge repository
>
> 70% of the images are screenshot of the UI.
> I've started a attempt to solve this problem once and for all
> by copying the Blender UI to HTML + CSS + SVG.
> This is done by parsing an XML file with JS to HTML.
> The generated html fragments can then be used as a replacement for the
> images.
> The icons are the original Blender svg-icons.
>
> The biggest problem is the 3D shading Blender does,
> but I found work arounds.
>
> https://github.com/tobiasHeinke/BlenderWebUI
>
> The Fun start with the preserved interactivity:
> CSS hover or with JS script:
> Show tooltips, dynamically highlight regions, functional widgets...
> User can select Blender theme: change CSS file,
> OS specific key map
>
> This interface could also be used by the blend4web project.
> Or does it even already exists somewhere out there on the interweb?
>
> Greetings
> Tobias
>

> Am 09.02.2016 um 19:45 schrieb gandalf3:
>
> I created a task for this, if it's of any use
>
> On 02/09/2016 08:49 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:
>
> Hi, when moving to away from the wiki we chose to use quite compressed
> images to avoid a huge repository.
>
> Since then, there are some images which look noticeably low quality,
> so I've gone back and made an archive of all the images from the wiki.
>
> Realize its not so convenient to manually go over each image, so we
> can just do this for prominent images with noticeable problems.
>
> Here's the archive:
> http://download.blender.org/ftp/ideasman42/wiki_manual_images.tar (122mb).

- Campbell