[Bf-docboard] Naiad skin updated to MediaWiki 1.25

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Mon Oct 19 13:22:11 CEST 2015

Hello,

I have been contracted to update the Blender's Naiad
MediaWiki skin for the purpose of some internal website.

The modifications I have made work with MediaWiki 1.25.0+
(including the current 1.27alpha).

We have released the code on repo.or.cz:

  http://repo.or.cz/NaiadSkin.git

Attached also please find patch against SVN (sorry
to send it gzipped by the list allows only 40KB).

I have made few technical changes:

- MediaWiki i18n system is now used to cache parts
  of the interface, so we probably don't need
  to hack the parser,
- The skin can use http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:DeToc
  to extract and move the table of contents
  (this function is in the current code of the skin
   but had to be re-written for 1.25.0)
- http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/MediaWiki:NavTree_TopPages
  has been renamed to
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/MediaWiki:NavTreeTopPages
  for consistency with the code.
- The skin is more customizable - it uses $wgLogo
  and the links under the logo can be customized
  using MediaWiki:Sidebar.

We are using the skin with the stock TreeAndMenu extension
and it seems that the porting of BlenderTags parser caching
and BlenderTreeAndMenu has not been necessary.

I have prepared http://repo.or.cz/CustomFancyTree.git
extension to modify the look of TreeAndMenu to match
more closely that of the current wiki (still work in
progress).

Maybe less relevant to Blender Wiki but I have also
prepared http://repo.or.cz/NaiadSamples.git extension
to help bootstrap and customize the skin
on a fresh wiki without the need to import Blender Wiki
templates. This extension uses MW hooks to provide
default values of MediaWiki:NavTree etc. etc.

Detailed instructions are here:

http://repo.or.cz/NaiadSkin.git/blob/refs/heads/master:/INSTALL

I am happy to work with you to update this even
more - maybe with this skin the Blender Wiki could
be updated to the current MediaWiki version.

I was also wondering if a version of this with
a different color scheme and artwork could be
also released on MediaWiki.org.

The patch against SVN is attached, please note that
I have removed few files.

I have subscribed to this list and I am also on #blenderwiki
as "saper".

Thank you for publishing Naiad for everyone to use!

Marcin Cieślak