[Bf-docboard] Visual Improvements to the Manual

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:35:31 CET 2015

Okay, this is like a month or two late, but better late than never I
guess :P

One thing that has bothered me is that I can no longer see the
navigation after scrolling down on long pages.

I've fixed this for my self with a simple css hack:

.wy-nav-side {
     position:fixed;
     height:100%;
     overflow-y:scroll;
}

But if others are experiencing annoyance with the same problem, perhaps
a (nicer) fix could be added to the official manual?

Another thing which annoys me is the way search result captions show
extraneous markup, which usually makes them completely useless..
Most likely not solvable with css, but I thought I'd mention it.
Screenshot: http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=85829

On 02/27/15 06:27, Greg Zaal wrote:
> Hey all :)
>
> I've written down some ideas for improving the appearance of the
> manual, which would mostly be done with just some CSS tweaks.
>
> Roughly:
>
>   * Navigation Bar showing whole tree
>   * Reference Box formatting and consistency
>   * Broken Links more apparent
>   * Image Captions to look more like captions
>   * More space after italics
>   * Clear Search Highlight

If by "clear search highlight" you mean some way to get rid of the
highlighted search terms without editing the url and reloading the page,
then +11 to that ;)

>   * Page Width larger
>
> But read the full page here for details:
> http://gregzaal.com/junk/html/proposals/visual_improvements.html
>
> Do you agree/disagree with any of these ideas? Do you have any other
> suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

-gandalf3