[Bf-docboard] Verbosity of Editors

Kevin Mossey mongoose.dog at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:55:07 CET 2015

My opinion, although I'm really new to editing this doc, is that there
should be a single high-level page talking about the 3d viewport, that
includes a paragraph or two about each of: the toolshelf, properties shelf,
 header, and viewer.  It should mention how to get to it (by selecting the
3d viewport icon,etc), open/close the toolshelves with mouse or hotkeys
(t&n), what the general usefulness of each section is, and how it will show
different things depending on what mode you're in.  End each paragraph with
"For more information see xxx", or some indication of how to find more.

We should avoid redundancy by repeating information that is available
elsewhere.  If something changes in the future it's better to have one
place to change it rather than 3.

In the case of the header, though, I don't know where else we'd have a
chance to describe the layers buttons, and also a point of confusion for me
when learning blender was why my layers (or something else) disappeared
when I went to look for it.  You feel stupid when someone tells you, "Oh,
it disappears in edit mode", so a page describing in detail every option
the header, in each mode, would be useful.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 12:58 AM, Greg Zaal <gregzzmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've started working on the 3D View editor page, and I'm wondering about
> how much we should include here.
>
> Should we have a file each for Toolshelf, Properties Region and menus, and
> list each and every single option available there? This seems a bit like
> overkill to me, and most functions are already documented in other chapters
> (e.g. modeling tools are documented in the modeling chapter).
>
> But then if we simply say "there is a toolshelf, it has tools in it",
> that's not exactly helpful.

Kevin Mossey