[Bf-docboard] Keyboard shortcut convention

S J Bennett quollism at ii.net
Thu Nov 27 13:12:50 CET 2014

Sorry to bikeshed but it'd be nice to have this pinned down. I don't
want to have to go back and tediously re-edit something as omnipresent
as hotkeys.

I did a quick bit of research to see if there's any broader consensus:
- Reaper uses [Ctrl]+[Alt]+Right-Click & Drag
   http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Item_Editing
- Houdini says [Ctrl] + [Tab] (boxed text, linking plus)
   http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/basics/panes
- Maya has special graphics for Alt, Shift, Space etc and also uses a
linking + outside the boxes
http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/files/GUID-C8C48B82-85C3-427E-8CE5-E99942FACE0D.htm
   Maya also documents its hotkeys in plain lowercase which isn't the
most readable thing
http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/files/Transforming_objects_Move_rotate_or_scale_objects_and_components.htm
- This article about Photoshop uses Shift+Alt+P and Cmd+Shift+U
highlighted in bold - no spaces or boxes
http://www.creativebloq.com/photoshop/photoshop-shortcuts-1012966

The plus seems to be a pretty standard indication of "press all these
keys at once". Unlike in :kbd:`Ctrl+A` the plus doesn't tend to appear
in the box itself when there is a box. For me [Ctrl] + [A] is visually
less problematic than [Ctrl+A] - it's less crammed together and more
legible as a result. Separating the different keys into their boxes
makes the box around [Ctrl] etc a reliable visual metaphor for a single key.

What does everyone think?

Also any thoughts on whether to make single keys like 'k' or 'g'
uppercase or lowercase when describing them as shortcuts? The monospace
font I'm seeing on my system indicates a clear difference between 1, l
and I so it's really down to a question of what we prefer.

cheers,
Simon