[Bf-docboard] Documentation status and upgrade proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 23:24:43 CEST 2014

@Gaia

Yep, I suggest to replace old crap with new crap :), mainly to split
the project into manageable chunks.

I worry if rewriting a manual and switching to a new platform are done
as one step it may take a lot longer (years even).
And if one fails (either the new system or the rewrite), we are left
with something unusable - a half written manual.

If we try to switch to a new technology and fail, then we can blame
the technology... and try something else, or go back to what we have.

If rewriting the manual fails, we can blame our own ability to write
:)... and still end up with better tools/technology and (somewhat
improved docs) - even if we dont manage to get all up to a higher
quality.

Something I want to avoid is to be in an unknown state for a long
time, while we move to a new system we probably want to freeze all
edits to the Wiki manual, but we should try keep that time period as
short as possible IMHO (weeks - some months max).

I realize moving existing docs over may feel like a bad start, but at
least we can do this without long discussions on subjective matters
such as writing style and can even automate the process to some
extent.

If we want to rip out chapters and rewrite after, then theres no
problems with that.

- Campbell