[Bf-docboard] And speaking about a new manual...

Noel Stoutenburg brasshat at core.com
Wed May 7 02:56:42 CEST 2014

Friends,

1). I use a commercial software product to notate music, and one of the
features of this product is a "visual index". This visual index is a
couple of pages of faux sheet music with the elements of music that make
up a high proportion of the elements of music notation that most
musicians would use, and the names used for those elements in the
software. It is extraordinarily useful, especially for novice users of
the software: they can consult the visual index, and find out the name
of an element that is causing issues, saving time, by allowing them to
ask questions in names that others will understand. I submit that a
comparable visual index should be included in Blender. a screen shot,
perhaps of a quad view screen, that would provide the names of blender
elements (vertex, line, plane, object, wireframe mode, edge loop, loop
cut, &c, so that a novice can consult this index and ask a question that
all of us can understand at once. It is very helpful, not only in
manuals, but in forums, to ask the question using the right words, and
this is a way to help new users find the right words.

2) A "How do I...?" section, covering the most frequent tasks a Blender
modeler would want to know. Examples of questions: How do I add ...?
Separate answers for a single vertex, a mesh primitive, a loop cut, a
lamp, a camera, &c. How do I group two objects together? How do I
ungroup two objects?

This should be fairly easy to compile: create a script to crawl through
the Blender Artist forums, and note every thread starting posts which
starts with the phrase "how do I".

ns