[Bf-docboard] Proposal for restructuring the user manual

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 09:21:30 CET 2014

Hey guys,

Overall, I like the proposal and agree with most of the comments so far,
with a few little notes:

About videos: I agree that they're generally a problem to maintain and
internationalize, though a video with no voice which simply shows the
results of something (e.g. ocean modifier includes:
http://vimeo.com/18911131 ) is perfectly fine imo.

A section on editors is a good idea, as long as we're not duplicating
anything too much. I see it as a place to describe the editors themselves,
and link to the other relevant sections when mentioning a feature.

Now about restructuring the whole manual:

When will "good timing" come? I'd prefer if we get all big restructuring
done fairly soon (before February perhaps). It doesn't have to be a
gargantuan task undertaken by only a handful of people - it may be easier
to start from the ground up and get module owners and volunteers to work on
a section each.

These people would become the "section owners" mentioned in
http://blender.org/documentation/contribute. We could rename the /manual
folder to /manual_old, and then they could scrub through the old manual for
their relevant content and move them to a new /manual folder. This way,
it'll be easy to tell what's still left to move (stuff still in
/manual_old), and keep note of where things were moved to so that it'll be
easier to fix all the broken links caused by the move.

Cheers,
Greg