[Bf-docboard] Survey Results

Kesten Broughton solarmobiletrailers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:23:22 CET 2013

It's true.  All the cook kids like learning from the vids.  However, let's
remember that blender has a huge presence worldwide, and many places don't
have great internet connections.
I know there are serious reservations about even linking to external
content, for quality and uniformity issues.  However, my vote would be
something like:

A video tutorials resources section at the bottom of the page that could be
footnote referenced from the page itself.  Ideally, this would be a queue
created by a form which would require a new video link to include creation
date, version, author, maintainer email and other details.  Then some kind
of rating system and usage statistics so we could let users prune
out-of-date videos and rate them the way stack-overflow does with problems
and solutions.

In fact, a "blender channel" of sorts on S.O. would be a great sibling
technology to the wiki, if we could find out how to start one.

kesten

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:41 AM, Cal McGaugh <cal at cal3d.com> wrote:

> **
>  Hi guys,
>
>  I'm glad you found the survey useful. I hope it also was a good
>  advertisement for the wiki and for the docboard.
>
>  I think many new users don't know about the wiki, and probably most users
>  in general don't know who is responsible for maintaining it, or how to
>  help out.
>
>  One thing stood out for me is that they really like videos to go with the
>  wiki text to help them "get it".
>
>  I see a ton of links to great video tutorials on this page:
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Tutorials/Resources/External_links
>
>  How about putting a link to the relevant wiki page with each video link
> and
>  the video link on each wiki page?
>
>  Cal

Kesten Broughton