[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 92, Issue 1

Kesten Broughton solarmobiletrailers at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 20:03:54 CEST 2012

Hey dan,

while you are investigating upgrades, can you check out the options on
mediawiki for wysiwyg
editors<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WYSIWYG>.
We would want to provide users with this or source editing options.

thanks

kesten

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Dan McGrath <danmcgrath.ca at gmail.com>wrote:

> Heya Ton,
>
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> > Since you have an account, I would be very pleased to have you help with
> installing/upgrading mediawiki.
> > Is that possible?
>
> In theory, I don't think that upgrading the software would be hard to
> do from an installation point of view, but I would have to research
> into the version differences and what not first to ensure that all of
> the current modules we use are still available. Ideally I would need
> to test on the dev db first, which would need a sync with the live db
> once etc., so would take quite a bit of work/testing first.
>

> > On the 'wall of text': I would suggest to remove the Sphinx search and
> put a simple google search button in place. I didn't understand everything
> in your long text, but "Sphinx" seems to be the cause of everything that's
> complicated and hard to work with. Remove complexity, we don't need it.
>
> >From what I remember (I actually did some quick tests a while back for
> this), switching to google is a pretty straightforward thing to do. As
> for sphinx, the install and setup itself could stay in place, even
> though it wouldn't be used. It would just mean a bit of wasted CPU
> cycles every day when the cron job runs, at least until I can either
> get Marco to remove the cron, or check on my access to do so (I am not
> the most familiar with the quirks of FreeBSD as I am with say Linux,
> that's all). But to fully remove Sphinx properly might require some
> help from Francesco as the current skin has a bunch of
> html/php/templates in place that put the search box in place and issue
> the URL's that hook into the search.
>
> Anyways, just got back and ill be showing up in irc shortly here.
>

> Dan

Kesten Broughton
President and Technology Director,
Solar Mobile Trailers