[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 92, Issue 1

Dan McGrath danmcgrath.ca at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:40:28 CEST 2012

Heya Ton,

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Since you have an account, I would be very pleased to have you help with installing/upgrading mediawiki.
> Is that possible?

In theory, I don't think that upgrading the software would be hard to
do from an installation point of view, but I would have to research
into the version differences and what not first to ensure that all of
the current modules we use are still available. Ideally I would need
to test on the dev db first, which would need a sync with the live db
once etc., so would take quite a bit of work/testing first.

> On the 'wall of text': I would suggest to remove the Sphinx search and put a simple google search button in place. I didn't understand everything in your long text, but "Sphinx" seems to be the cause of everything that's complicated and hard to work with. Remove complexity, we don't need it.

>From what I remember (I actually did some quick tests a while back for
this), switching to google is a pretty straightforward thing to do. As
for sphinx, the install and setup itself could stay in place, even
though it wouldn't be used. It would just mean a bit of wasted CPU
cycles every day when the cron job runs, at least until I can either
get Marco to remove the cron, or check on my access to do so (I am not
the most familiar with the quirks of FreeBSD as I am with say Linux,
that's all). But to fully remove Sphinx properly might require some
help from Francesco as the current skin has a bunch of
html/php/templates in place that put the search box in place and issue
the URL's that hook into the search.

Anyways, just got back and ill be showing up in irc shortly here.

Dan