[Bf-docboard] Blender 2.5 Magazine: Call for content

Tony Mullen tony.mullen+bm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:24:34 CEST 2011

Hi Michael and all,

> I would be happy to help if given a style guide and some examples of
> what you want and how deep the info and image resolution and to use
> trunk or official release

Ton can chime in and correct me or add to what I say, but here are my answers.

As for release, this guide should be as accurate as possible to
Blender 2.58. The content should deal with features that are fully
implemented and stable by the time of that release.

Image resolution: for renders, we need 300 dpi for printing. It's
possible to fake it by blowing it up in Gimp, but bigger is always
better for renders because it gives options for how large the image
can run. For screenshots, use screen resolution and save in PNG or
TIFF (not JPEG). Don't blow these up in Gimp because that can make
them blurry if you use interpolation.

Depth of info: Should be something of interest to intermediate users
(with experience in 2.4 or other software) and as specific as possible
to 2.5. The content can be step-by-step tutorials or, alternately,
just some interesting process shots with explanation.

Finally, style guide: We don't really have a style guide (hoping to
leave that up to some hot-shot graphic designer) but we prefer
graphics over text with good looking, big images. This is as much a
promotional publication as an educational one, so we want it to have a
big impact, showing people what cool features there are.

Basically, what I'd like to receive is a directory of clearly-named or
numbered image files (tiff or png) and a text/doc/odt file with the
text and references to the images and how they should be used.

Finally, I'd like to set the deadline for content at May 15th.

Let me know if there are any more questions!

Tony