[Bf-docboard] coder - doc team meetings

Kesten Broughton solarmobiletrailers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 16:38:00 CET 2011

Tacking documentation on to the weekly meeting would be fine as long as
there is a spot for it in the minutes and a public call made.  Last week,
two individuals were posting questions to help them with documentation
writing, both posted several times and neither got a response.

I have never had the release notes turn up on a search engine search, so
that's kind of an insider solution unless we advertise it somewhere.  The
problems is, right now, a lot of the wiki looks like
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Textures/Influence/Particles.

The "please do not contribute" notification has been up for over a month.
Perhaps readers should also be directed to the release notes for newer
features.

The problem is, there are a lot of features with totally new GUI or API
since 2.49 that don't, as far as i know, have any documentation anywhere.
(perhaps there is an archive of release notes somewhere?)  What I am hoping
for is something like the code area
managers<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Template:ModulesOwners>list
where each manager would be responsible for asking documentation
questions in that domain.

In my case, I wanted to update the rigidBodiesConstraints documentation.
Documentation i can find is for 2.49 and doesn't explain ConeTwist joints
very well at all.  After looking at the C++ code it turns out there is a
probable bug.  Basically, the solver is unstable when the angles go beyond
the requested angle limits.  I heard it stated last week that there are 175
outstanding bugs in blender currently.  I would suggest it is double that
on sections of code that have poor to no documentation, because without
that, users have no way of knowing what the proper behaviour should be - so
they don't submit bug reports.  In my case, Erwin Coumins could not be
reached and it took 2 months to contact Benoit Bolsee.

kesten