[Bf-docboard] coder - doc team meetings

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 19:48:51 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Pep Ribal <pepribal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> Brecht,
>
> I have a pending talk with mindrones on the IRC; I haven't discussed
> much yet. However, following his advice I wrote my ideas on the topic
> in my wiki user space (user Pepribal there).
>
> Regarding the documenters-coders meeting, obviously I would rather go
> for an "ask whener you need it" than a "wait until the meeting". I was
> just proposing some mechanism to avoid being ignored in the IRC which
> understandably has happened: in a Groucho style, I'd say "I would also
> ignore myself if I just could be someone else for a moment" ;). So
> yes, much better as you say.
>
> The idea I'm proposing takes some doc workload from documenters.
> Perhaps they could just write the idea briefly, then the documenter
> tries to understand it: if he/she does, done; if not, ask in the IRC
> whatever that is not understood, and done.
>
> As I said, I'm already working in my own "Blender Referencish" thingy.
> There is the phantom menace of the eternal proposals "this would be
> nice", "that would be good", "this could be better", "let me think
> about it for 7 months" and start over. So, well, if something can be
> started, you can count on me, meanwhile I keep rolling. Perhaps
> sometimes duplicated work is preferred to lack of decision?
>
> At the end of the day, what I really wish is to learn Blender. And for
> that I need to have the peace of mind that would give me a good
> reference out there, updated and exhaustive. If that is finally set
> up, and the organization makes sense, no doubt I'll be there with you
> guys.
>
> Merry Christmas everyone!!
>
> Pep.

As has been pointed out there are Blender docs, and then 3d docs. I
would suggest that we strongly try and separate them. That way we can
update blender and not have to redo all the 3d docs. As an example
look at 3 point lighting in the 2.4 manual. It is GREAT but it would
be just as great without blender being there. But, it is nice to know
the settings used by Blender to get the effects in the pics. Perhaps
these settings could be linked to the Blender side? On the other hand,
knowing how to use the lights and their interface could change all the
time and should only be on the Blender side. Is it possible to keep
these separate? Is it a good idea?

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!