[Bf-docboard] When to Document 2.5

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 17:38:19 CET 2009

At this morning's meeting, we discussed the alpha release of 2.5, and what it would be good for. One of the items we all want to reinforce is that we will NOT start documenting 2.5 until the BETA1 release. The reason for this is that 1) so much is subject to change, and 2) mindrones is still working on tools to help us and help the user community document Blender.

For 1) I mean the UI itself and functionality and the way it works. As you know Durian is doing some heavy lifting with 2.5 and feedback from them will probably change things around with regard to workflow, features, options, etc. For 2) I mean that right now you can see a right-click menu on a button with "Edit Docs" as an option. Mindrones is exploring a blog sort of approach for users to add their own comments and explanations, so that we don't need to write that up in the wiki Reference Manual. He is also looking at a way for panels to snapshot themselves and automatically report their tool tips, again for the reference manual. For over four years now I have been wanting to make a closer integration of the wiki User Manual and the Reference Manual, and with these tools, see that it could be possible. So let's give him and Campbell some time to work it out, and when done, I will publish a workflow that makes it all beautiful.

Again, in the meantime, we still need quite a lot of documentation on 2.49 to use as a base, so please check out the Wiki_Tasks document, grab an item and knock it off the list, PLEASE.

Sent by Roger Wickes for intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and contact Mr. Wickes immediately.