[Bf-docboard] wiki refactor notes: 301 redirect

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Sat Jan 24 11:24:30 CET 2009

Hi,

I'll note here things that have been done, in order to keep track and let everyone know what's going on (and partecipate possibly :)
I prefer to split in separate mails so that discussion can happen well threaded.

----------------

Now blender wiki makes 301 redirects:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mindrones/blender-wiki/proposal/structure#Redirecting_pages_with_a_.22301_redirect.22:.C2.A0DONE.21

That means that:

- if we move "pageA" to "pageB", wiki silently changes the url of pageA into the real (new) one (pageB), and search engines properly understand that pageB IS in effect pageA, so this doesn't affect the ranking of the wiki pages, especially now that we're going to move a lot of pages.

- the page isn't cluttered with the "(redirected from: blabla)" above the page, so probably we could even avoid to edit the links in the pages listed in "what links here". Brecht proposed to put a lot of sstuff in Attic: so we could reserve that job to those pages that will be really used.

Wehn Nathan will have created proper namespaces I will post again to make a "call" for documenters in order to organize the move well :)

Regards,
Luca

http://www.mindrones.com