[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 49, Issue 4

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 14:42:48 CET 2009

Jimmy, looks like some whitespace was added to that particles page, etc. diff isn't that intelligent, but does the best that it can. expect it to get tripped up now and then.

Regarding the tutorials, I would love it if you would enhance the wiki Tutorials page, with wikified tutorials linked to on that page, or other outside-hosted tutorials linked to on the http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Tutorials/Links page. The reason for two sets is that the wiki tutorials stay around and are a community effort; the ones that are outside hosted come and go quite frequently, have varying quality, no way to update them, and there is no notification system when they are discontinued.

As a start, if we could merge the BSOD tutorial links onto the Tutorials page, that would be great. I see no reason to keep the BSOD as a separate set of tutorials, as it just makes them one step removed, when they should really be prominent.

Thanks!

 ----------------
Sent by Roger Wickes for intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and contact Mr. Wickes immediately.

________________________________
From: "bf-docboard-request at blender.org" <bf-docboard-request at blender.org>
To: bf-docboard at blender.org

   1. Wiki diff shows text as different even when it's    identical
      (JimmyVolatile)
   2. Long term plans for merging tutorials and other    "duplicate"
      website sections? (JimmyVolatile)

Hi, all.
I do not really know how the Wiki diff has been marking the text earlier but now, it seems like lots of paragraphs are marked as both deleted and added even if there is no change in the text itself.
It could look like differences in the text formatting in the may cause the diff to interpret the unchanged text as different.
Example: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=Manual/Static_Particles&diff=next&oldid=56325

Anyone got any ideas?
Jimmy Volatile (Jarl Arntzen)

Hi, all.
I'm just curious if there are any long term plans to merge the list of blender.org tutorials here http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/ with the list of wiki tutorials here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Tutorials

I'd be quite happy to do the merge and recreate the blender.org tutorial page as a wiki-page and link up all the tutorials to avoid having two very similar pages, of which the easiest acessible (blender.org-tutorials) is the least recent. The current blender.org wold then simply link to the wiki tutorial page which would then hold the merged list of links to all tutorials.
So, are there any reasons for keeping 2 duplicate tutorials pages anymore or can I just go ahead?
The second question, of course, is who's maintaining the blender.org tutorials page nowadays anyway?
--
With kind regards,

Jimmy Volatile / Jarl Arntzen