[Bf-docboard] Wiki manual (was: Docboard re-activation)

Tobias Regenbrecht regenbrecht at gmx.net
Sat Dec 6 21:31:53 CET 2008

Mindrones wrote:
> I have some proposals and questions for the wiki manual reorganization.
>
> 1) STRUCTURE
> I would like to edit the wiki Manual to make it more structured (I wouldn't
> touch the contents).
>
> My proposal is to have Chapters as folders in the URL.
> For example this page url
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Axis_Locking
> would become
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Interaction_in_3D/Manipulation/Axi
>s_Locking
I think this is not such a good idea. I'm now working for three years at the
german wiki, and quite a few pages had to be rearranged in this time. If you
would name them according to their position in the docu, you would have to
rename the pages if you change the structure of the manual.

> On the top of the page we would have these links
> < Manual | Interaction_in_3D | Manipulation | Axis_Locking
This is a good idea, but these links should be created manually.

> The second chapter would have this (quite obvious) structure:
The structure is strange. If you have a page "Interaction in 3D" it should
carry the introduction, so no extra introduction page is necessary. What do
you expect to find on a page "Interaction in 3D" anyway - either the complete
documentation or the introduction.

> Manual
> 	Interaction in 3D
> 		Introduction
> 		Navigating in 3D Space
> 			Introduction
> 			Using the 3D View
> 			3D View Options
> 			Camera View
> 			Layers
> 			Local or Global View
> 		Grease Pencil
> 			Grease Pencil
If you have a page "Grease Pencil" (which is at the wrong place here) you
don't need a section "Grease Pencil".

> 3) SEARCH ENGINE
> It seems to me that the wiki search engine is quite inefficient, at the
> moment I prefer to use "site:http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual
> word_to_search" in Google :) What do you think?
Someone responsible for the wiki should create a custom google search for the
wiki. I have put a search link on top of each page in the german wiki, to
search the different wikibooks at the same time. See for example:

http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_Dokumentation:_Koordinatenr%C3%A4ume

and the search page:
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=017036026421081323629:jqyc8dchgpk

You can use the google webmaster tools to upload an XML sitemap for the
manual, which would allow for even better indexing.

Regards