[Bf-docboard] Wiki manual (was: Docboard re-activation)

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Sat Dec 6 13:56:33 CET 2008

Hello,

I have some proposals and questions for the wiki manual reorganization.

1) STRUCTURE
I would like to edit the wiki Manual to make it more structured (I wouldn't touch the contents).

My proposal is to have Chapters as folders in the URL.
For example this page url
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Axis_Locking
would become
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Interaction_in_3D/Manipulation/Axis_Locking

On the top of the page we would have these links
< Manual | Interaction_in_3D | Manipulation | Axis_Locking

This would let you know where you are in the manual and also jump directly to the appropriate level.

Say I wanna jump from Axis_Locking to Interaction_in_3D, now you have to jump back to the Manual index and then choose Interaction_in_3D, but the link to Manual takes me to the very beginning of the page, and to reach the contents on the bottom you have to scroll a lot.
I don't consider the back button in the browser an option :), if you are new to Blender it's hard to say where you are in the wiki anyway.

The second chapter would have this (quite obvious) structure:

Manual
	Interaction in 3D
		Introduction
		Navigating in 3D Space
			Introduction
			Using the 3D View
			3D View Options
			Camera View
			Layers
			Local or Global View
		Grease Pencil
			Grease Pencil

		Manipulation in 3D Space
			Introduction
			Hotkeys
			Manipulators
			Manual/Gestures
			Axis Locking
			Pivot Points
			Proportional Edit
			Transform Orientations
			Transform Properties

2) SITE MAP?
Is there a way to know everything is inside the wiki?
A Site map would help to have an idea of what's going on there :)

3) SEARCH ENGINE
It seems to me that the wiki search engine is quite inefficient, at the moment I prefer to use "site:http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual word_to_search" in Google :)
What do you think?

4) EDITING
I'm actually using Plone for my site, with FCKEditor as the editor. It is fast and intuitive, have a look here
http://www.fckeditor.net/demo
I see that it is available for mediawiki:
http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/

This could speed a lot editing in wiki, so I've proposed that to JesterKing, it is in his loooong todolist for wiki :)
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:JesterKing/Todo

Is there anybody using it? Wdyt?

5) "TOP" ANCHORS
Sometimes pages are too long, so I think we should use more the anchors to reach the Top of the page, scrolling long text is eye-fatiguing.
Maybe this can be done in template? Like have the "Top" link addded automatically in each section?

Regards,
Luca

http://www.mindrones.com