[Bf-docboard] dynamic hotkey template

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu May 4 12:55:02 CEST 2006

On 04/05/2006, at 18:43 PM, Ewout Fernhout wrote:

> Good point matt, although I'm not entirely convinced this wil work
> well in the other formats (other than web that is).

If you're talking about print, an image that looks good on the web
will be too low-res anyway.

> I will look into creating something better than that with css (and a
> nice rounded-corners hack), I was not impressed :o)
> it needs to be a bit more key-like:
> http://www.gnoppix.org/pages/rute/key-ctrl.png

Coming up with a good style should be open for experimentation, for
sure! I disagree that it needs to look so literally like a key though
(with the associated shading, chunkiness, etc breaking up the flow of
reading). It just needs to be something that signifies it as a hotkey
rather than prose. It's already pretty clear in even in plain text if
it says "Just press [E] to extrude" that the [E] is representing a
hotkey. Anything further is more to make it look nice and to make it
recognisable at a glance. It's not necessary that the template looks
so presentationally like a key in order for it to do its job in
communicating.

cheers

Matt