[Bf-docboard] Manual Structure project progress update

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Jun 28 15:54:26 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Thought I'd give an update on my progress with the project I'm
working on alongside the BSoD. ( http://mediawiki.blender.org/
index.php/User:Broken/SummerOfDocs2006Restructure )

I've read through most of the manual and taken notes on the sort of
information that is used in reference items. From this, I've
categorised things and made up some guidelines and a template to use
for each item. I've done the key template, and also made the box
header as a MediaWiki template ( http://mediawiki.blender.org/
index.php/Template:RefBox ) so it's all ready to go.

The breakdown and template I've come up with is here, with guidelines
for its use:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Broken/
ReferenceBoxGuidelines

Not all of these types of information will be relevant to each tool,
and of course writers may choose not to include them all. If they are
included though, this is a good guideline for what it should be, and
in what order. Writers should be able to easily copy and paste the
wiki markup from that page to use in their own items.

I made a couple of (differing) examples here too, adapting the Edge
Loop Selection item and the Displacement item to see how it would fit
this template, and they turned out pretty well:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Broken/ReferenceBoxTest

So, my next step is to start the arduous task of chopping up and
applying this template to the actual docs. I figure that the best way
to test that it will work out nicely is to put it into practice, so
there's a chance some tweaks may get made if I find out somethings
not working omtimally working. Any feedback would be welcomed too, of
course. I guess I'll start from the start of the manual, so consider
this a heads-up. I'll try to do my work in small, contained chunks,
to minimise impact on others. Anyway, onward I go...

cheers

Matt