[Bf-docboard] What a mess !

Jean Montambeault iaminnocent at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 25 03:51:03 CEST 2006

David Millet wrote:

>> Will the manual remain in that state for long ?
>>
>> Could you imagine the thoughts of the newcomer to Blender and the
>> feelings of the writers whose work has been ruined ?
>>
>> Whoever did this should have the ethic of fixing it fast and also of
>> playing in some sand box somewhere far away to ensure that the
>> changes are innocuous.
> Good night, Jean!  Which mess are you pray-tell referring to, and
> whose work has been ruined?
It looks like the whole introduction part is missing.

> If you're talking about this:
> http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Manual ..., while it is
> ugly, nobody's work has been ruined, nobody's content has been lost.
Ouf ! Glad to read that !
>   This has been caused by a mediawiki upgrade that we could not use
> our little nested templates hack on.
>
> I've been out of the loop for a couple days because of moving, but if
> a solution isn't found by Monday, or at least the promise of a
> solution, I'll be issuing a statement declaring that non-extension
> mediawiki hacks illegal, and we will find another way to do what was
> trying to be done there.  Most major wikis get along without that hack
> just fine, and we can do the same.
>
> Timmeh has had some success with template nesting.  Take a look at how
> he did it here: http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Timmeh
It seems that I lost my editing rights after such a long period of
inactivity : can't see the code for the nested templates. I'll catch up
later. I intend to write my new tutorials on another site first anyway
to see what they are worth before asking permission to import them in
the Wiki somewhere.
I think remembering that you were the one (spiderworm ?) who started
Noob2Pro. You asked me once if i would want to participate and soon I
will be able to do that as I am getting back much of my life with the
end of a lenghty project.

> If there's something else, some section that has been destroyed by a
> malicious user, please point out a root URL so that I can take a look.
No, nothing of the sort. It was quite a shock to see the manual in such
a disarray. Combined with the fact that I found very few messages on
bf-docboard for the 2 months worth of mail accumulated in my inbox... I
guess that I panicked. Sorry...

> spiderworm
Thanks for the reassuring words David. :)

Jean