[Bf-docboard] Documentation structure project

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Jun 21 04:20:13 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I've already sent a notice to the summer of docs mailing list, so I
should mention it here too.

I'm going to be doing a project alongside the summer of docs, with
which you guys should probably be aware, and hopefully work co-
operatively keeping it in mind. I submitted a proposal for the summer
of docs, regarding the structure and information design of the user
manual, and although it falls outside of the 'blender basics
bootcamp' scope, the judges agreed that it was valuable and important
enough to make a special exception for it, and run the project
additionally. You can see the proposal here: http://
mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Broken/SummerOfDocs2006Restructure

My project is partly concerned with some of the discussions that were
on the bf-docboard mailing list late last year with the thread
'restructuring the documentation'. The part of it that would
influence the summer of docs most heavily is the idea of creating a
stronger distinction between tutorial/theory and reference content. I
go into more detail on this in the proposal, but basically, the
mixture of tutorials and reference material in the Blender
documentation is the source of many problems, and should be more
cleanly separated (and cross-linked between).

Over the next days/weeks I'll be working on the points outlined in
the proposal, starting now with analysing the current documentation
and devising a template and list of items to include in it, for
documenting tools and options. After that, I'll start a long trawl
through the online manual, and will need to do a fair bit of editing
to implement the template and get rid of excess text. I really don't
want to step on anyone's feet here, so I'll try my best to stay in
good contact (I'm usually in #blenderwiki when I'm online) and will
try to keep up to date via the mailing list, so I don't interrupt
other people's work.

Cheers

Matt